Friday, February 24, 2012

Participant Observation: The Parisian


Starting this Friday, I will be writing about my Paris trips, not really the cultural traits that I observed as an anthropologist (I just like the phrase "participant observation"), but more just like a tour guide for those of you interested in going there in the future. 

For some reason I have always had the opportunity to visit Paris although I don’t have special feelings towards the city as many people (especially girls) do… but I thought many of you would be interested in seeing the places and food and random things I encountered there. And I’m not gonna lie, it is a beautiful place with lots of amazing museums (probably the main reason to why I keep going). 

This week I commence with my favorite thing about Paris.

My favorite museums

  •          Musée de l'Orangerie
It has a whole gallery of Monet’s water lillies where you can immerse yourself into the beautiful colors, and get that panic attack of knowing how you will never be able to make such great work (I get this feeling ALL the time). And many Matisse, Cezanne, and Laurencin. Plus it’s a fairly small museum so you really get to take your time to look at the work, unlike the Louvre where its million pieces of work can become distractive (to me at least).  


 

 
  •          Louvre
Although the Louvre can be too big too filled of objects, I gotta admit that it is simply a treasure for art lovers. The pyramid is a nice spot to take photos (yes Asians!), and I have this thing about the Gold Room. I don’t even know the official name of that gallery but I have been calling it the Gold Room and people seem to understand me… If you haven’t been there and have a thing for shiny/golden/blingbling things like me, then definitely pop in there next time. It is a whole room decorated in gold, with pretty sculptures and paintings and ceiling art and they result in this super decadent golden image that stayed with me since my first visit to the Louvre more than a decade ago.  A general tip for visiting the Louvre: if you want to see the whole museum, plan three days there. No kidding. 


  •          Centre Pompidou
Great place to see modern and contemporary work. But the main reason I like the Pompidou is its gift shop! They have an amazing postcard collection there, and also cute stationery and fun weird designs from up-and-coming artists. 



These are just three of the more well-known ones among the many museums in Paris.  
What's your favorite museum in Paris?



And I end this post with these super pretty egg-containers. I WANT THEM!
Next week I will talk about Parisian food: eg. Laduree and Pierre Herme (must-eat for Gossip Girl fans!!)

Happy Friday :) 
e.

No comments:

Post a Comment