Sunday, February 26, 2012

How I clean my brushes

I know.. I know... cleaning brushes is such a chore. But it is really essential to keep your brushes clean - imagine all the bacteria growing inside your brushes for months!! Also, I have always believed in investing good brushes, because if you keep them in good conditions, they can actually last for years! 

I left a short comment in the post "Day19: Something I Hate to do" on how I clean mine, but I guess it's  easier to illustrate in details with pictures:

Instant cleansing (with Brush Cleanser)

From Rae Morris: "Some of the products out there are laughable; I don't want my brushes to have deep-conditioning treatments, be oiled or smell like roses.... A good brush cleaner will clean a filthy brush instantly, with the brush drying in seconds, ready for its next use."

I have been using M.A.C.'s brush cleanser for a year now (I'm using it everyday and yet I havent even finished a bottle!), so far it does the trick for me. It cleans thoroughly (well at least for the small ones e.g. eyeliner/ eyeshadow brushes) and dries instantly. I usually clean my brushes after my shower in the morning, while they dry it leaves time for me to put on moisturizers and foundation, and the brushes will be ready to use then. 

So first off, as the cleanser bottle comes with a cap, which I find it bit inconvenient, I dispense it to a smaller spray bottle. (Some people say you can pour the cleanser to the cap, and dip the brush into the liquid.. but it's a mess for me because I'm always in rush in the morning haha.)  


Just simply spray the cleanser onto the brushes, work it through on a kitchen paper in circular motion. Repeat until no more products coming out from the brush. That easy!


Deep cleansing (with Washing Detergent)

Once every 2-3 weeks I clean my larger brushes (e.g. blush/powder brushes) with washing detergent. Washing detergent is, in my opinion, more effective and money-friendly in cleansing large brushes, because these brushes soak up so much brush cleanser and yet it takes forever to work out all the products on them.

With a small amount of washing detergent on a white plate (so you can see the color coming out from the brush), rub the damp brush on the plate as the products dissolving from the brush. Continue rubbing the brush under warm running water until the plate is clean and the water runs clear.

Reshape, and let the brushes dry flat overnight.



The brushes are now soft and clean, ready to be used like brand-new!


How do you clean yours?


- Cora xx

No comments:

Post a Comment